Rhododendron – Collage Continued…

What started with a session of intuitive painting resulted in a piece of work combining collage and the painted line. I am enjoying this way of working as I don’t quite know what my next move is. It takes all expectation out of the process which I find both freeing and interesting, with each step requiring consideration especially in the collage stage.

Below from start to finish incorporating; oil pastel, acrylic, ink, pre-painted collage pieces, and gold acrylic detail.

10 Morning Minutes.

I’ve decided to start a 10 minute morning routine, creating a small piece of artwork over a few days.

Monday Morning

I am working on a landscape, the reference photo was taken on a trip to Nova Scotia in 2017. Using my own painted papers I am first tracing the shape, then cutting and gluing. I am considering the colour and tone of the collage piece before cutting. I have always found collage challenging so hoping this will open doorways into further experiments with a variety of media.

Tuesday Morning

Two more collage pieces, land mass shadow and first tree trunk.

Wednesday Morning…oops

So wanting to introduce the sky and lake reflection but not a trace of cool colours in sight. Wednesday evening saw me painting more papers in blues tones…

Thursday Morning

Sky and lake in place, pleased with colours and texture. One day left to complete this piece!

Friday Finish!

Friday, finished with much learning…
You will see I attempted tree branches which I felt detracted from the distant land so I peeled them off. I loved making the painted papers (three new darks in the photo below). I thought the little collage made up of my off cuts into a row of pot plants so cute, (thanks to my partner Simon) and confirmed my thinking that art materials on the dining table should be part of the breakfast ritual! Thank you for following my week of collage. Now what will be my next arty project…..hmmmm.🤔🙂🙋🏼‍♀️

Experimenting with design and portraiture…

Still so much to learn in respect to proportion etc but this is basically an idea in the making, merging together natural elements with the feminine. Unfortunately I overworked the surface of the paper, should have sealed this first. The main image has been edited with Photoshop.

Solace in Surface Design

When both inspiration and energy are low, I turn to design for solace, choosing motifs to layer from the familiar and the beauty around me. I have always loved the designs of William_Morris (24 March 1834 – 3 October 1896) British textile designer, and been heavily influenced by the motifs, pattern and gilding of the Art Nouveau period, especially the works of Gustav Klimt. The design above layers an old faded story worn curtain from times past, along with the fading, yet still cosy glow of autumn leaves from the garden. This work may become a back drop for a future work, the cover for a visual diary, or a piece of quiet contemplation as it stands – whatever it’s future the process was rejuvenating.

“Summer Table”

Following the theme from “Kimberley’s Curtains” – I revisited a favourite composition previously used in oils and ink. Some of my students will recognise this still life arrangement. “Summer Table” is soft pastel on textured brown paper. As I am really enjoying this style of working, my weekend goal is to set up further still life arrangements so that I can continue to grow this collection. 

 

Emily’s Flowers

A little weekend therapy with inspiration from my talented niece and her wonderful ability to arrange the most stunning flowers – thank you sweetie! Work measures: 29″ x 21″ is a mixed media piece using ink, acrylic and pastel on pre-textured paper.

Side-track to “Road Home” – experimenting with tonalism and atmosphere.

As the weather cools and my mind wanders to far away places, I chose to take a side-road back into landscape; looking deeper into atmospheric techniques. Have called this work “Road Home” and is an experiment using various media to produce atmosphere. I am leaning towards a mix between Stage 1. and 3. (below) and will continue experimenting. The completed study is approximately 450 x 450 mm sq. worked on textured paper.

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: